In the eighteenth century, sea-bathing was very popular for health reasons on the North Sefton coast, and William Sutton, an entrepreneur took advantage of this in 1797 by building a bathing hut for visitors. He then built a hotel nearby in 1798; this was called the South-Port Hotel. By 1805, the area was being called South-Port in parish registers. Increasing numbers of visitors began to arrive and the area attracted people of consequence and fashion. ‘Lords’ Street (as it was known then) became the main thoroughfare. During the Victorian era the developing town became ever more popular, and was promoted for its health-giving airs. Walking out (known as promenading) was a popular pastime, and in 1835 the promenade was built; then the pier in 1860. Other leisure areas sprung up, such as Victoria and Hesketh Parks, gardens and two boating lakes, the latter now one huge . With the advent of the railway, people now flocked to Southport. In 1912 Southport and Birkdale amalgamated. The town continued to develop, becoming one of the most popular seaside resorts in the UK and it remains so today.