Like Formby, Crosby has its roots in the Norse invasions and settlement of the 8th Century. The name means ‘village with the cross’. It was recorded as Crosebi in the Domesday book of 1086. The larger ‘umbrella’ area of Great Crosby encompasses a number of settlements which include Crosby Village, Little Crosby, Blundellsands, Hightown, Brighton-le-sands, Thornton, and Waterloo (Waterloo being named as such in 1816).
Great development of the area took place in Victorian times with the arrival of the railway. The urban district of Crosby and Waterloo as it became known, merged with that of Waterloo and Seaforth to form the Municipal Borough of Crosby in 1937. In 1974 it became part of the new Sefton Metropolitan Borough.