A postcard view of Marine lake showing young people enjoying the facilities.
Southport, Marine lake, Children, buildings, boats
Southport Marine lake
In 1885 Southport Corporation acquired the front foreshore for Southport, 3,861 acres for £10,085 with a purchase proviso from the land owners that the 400 acres in front of The Promenade, which included the Birkdale boundary to Seabank Road should not be built upon except for recreation. In 1887 the first Marine Park and lake construction began on the south side of the Pier and on the north side a similar pattern was formed the two lakes and parks were joined in 1895.