The Winter Gardens, Southport, 1904, people, gardens
The building opened on September 16th, 1874, a Victorian entertainment complex, Southport Winter Gardens included an Opera House, aquarium, small zoo and very large conservatory. Reputed to be the largest building to grace an English seafront with two pavilions and a connecting walkway. The Opera House was the only commercially successful part of the complex but was destroyed by fire in 1929, and the Garrick Theatre was built as a replacement. The Winter Gardens was demolished in 1933 and the remaining part of the structure in 1962. Safeway supermarket was built on the site in the 1990s and the buildings design was meant to reflect the original design of the Winter Gardens. However, this was not successfully represented and a mural to the Winter Gardens can be seen on entering he supermarket which is now owned by Morrisons.