Maghull was an ancient settlement set on a ridge of high ground, named in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Magele. The name Maghull may have originated from an Anglo-Saxon word meaning ‘land where mayseed grows’ The area (approximately six square miles) consisted of agricultural land. Over the centuries the manor has been owned by various distinguished families which include the Halsalls, and the Molyneux’s. The oldest building in the township is the remaining part of the 13th Century chapel. Adjacent stands the present parish church of St Andrew’s. The manor house (which carries the date 1638 on a door lintel) became the first Home for Epileptics in the country. In World War One the hospital at Moss-side was used to treat shell-shock victims and it is famous for the pioneering work into the condition carried out there. Today Maghull has developed into a substantial town and it has approximately fifteen schools, a major shopping area, and a library/leisure centre. Neighbouring Aintree hosts the annual sporting calendar highlight, the Grand National.