Aintree, near Maghull, was originally a small settlement situated on flat land, near boggy ground, which was reclaimed for agriculture in the eighteenth century.
The name ‘Aintree’ is thought to derive from the Saxon word meaning ‘The One Tree’, and in 1292 the name was recorded as ‘Eyntre’. Today the area is a thriving community, well-linked by road and rail, and the Leeds-Liverpool Canal also passes through. Aintree has two main small shopping areas, two primary schools and five churches, as well as three public houses. A retail park along Ormskirk Road has brought major shopping names to the area. The racecourse is world-famous and annually hosts the sporting highlight, the Grand National.