Earl of Derby is opening Southport Sea Bathing Lake, with press photographers recording the days events.
Earl of Derby, opening, Sea, Bathing, Lake Southport, people, photographers, press
Southport Sea Front
Lord Derby, Lord Lieutenant of Lancashire performed the Sea Bathing Lake opening ceremony on 17th May 1928. The architect was A.E. Jackson and the lake measured 330 x 212 metres; construction provided employment for 300 local men. There was room for 2,500 spectators and in its heyday an orchestra played every afternoon in the pavilion cafe. The lake closed in 1989 and was demolished in 1993.